About Thinks

Sometimes good thinks happen and sometimes bad thinks happen. Sometimes it's hard to distinguish between the two.

Some thinks need immediate action and some thinks may remain as thinks forever. Thinks can be angry and heated. Thinks can be joyful. Thinks should never be cold.

These thinks are linked to many other wonderful thinks and I like to attribute these.

These thinks do not necessary reflect those thinks of my employer.

Think long, think on.

Friday, September 27, 2013

Because I am dumb

This term I have been trialling different assessment tasks based on a different definition of success. The definition was to 'manage self' and 'manage projects'.

Instead of being measured by running records, and other traditional tests, students were measured on whether or not they got day-to-day things done (in a 'flexi-time environment) and if their projects were completed by a deadline. 

A new group of 'high achievers' emerged as well as a new group of 'low achievers'. Generally my high achieving test takers were shocking project and self managers. Conversely the traditional low achieves created very successful projects and were good self managers.

Yesterday I gave the students a self-reflection survey. I predicted that the new 'high achievers' would finally have their moment to shine and that they would bask in their new found success. 

What I found, however, was that they rated themselves very low in all areas of self and project management.

When I asked one why it was she rated herself so low, she answered very matter of fact:
"Because I am dumb"
Amazing the effect 8 years of narrow testing has on our kids ...

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more. Keep up the awesome passion Tara!

    ReplyDelete