About Thinks

Sometimes good thinks happen and sometimes bad thinks happen. Sometimes it's hard to distinguish between the two.

Some thinks need immediate action and some thinks may remain as thinks forever. Thinks can be angry and heated. Thinks can be joyful. Thinks should never be cold.

These thinks are linked to many other wonderful thinks and I like to attribute these.

These thinks do not necessary reflect those thinks of my employer.

Think long, think on.

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Problem Solving vs Problem Finding


I have spent the summer in a bit of a pedagogical turmoil. I have fantastic new challenges ahead and an incredible opportunity to work in an incredible space with incredible people and children.

I am, I guess, about to live the dream but I am not naive enough to think that it is going to be an easy road.

I have a sense of what I want to achieve but it is sometimes difficult to put it into words, so I have spent the summer sniffing around online, meeting up with great people, and even reading (!) in the hope of 'going in' equipped. Sometimes I worry that my learning experiments could be too much.

Today I happened to come across a TEDx talk by Ewan McIntosh that not only motivated me, but simplified my quest against the traditional standards-based education that has been troubling me for sometime. He delicately shifts problem solving to problem finding and, oh, what a difference it makes. The images of children sharing and celebrating their learning brought a sense of absolute delight.

It was one of those moments when all the thought bubbles circling around in my head stopped.

I am sure as time goes on the bubbles will be shaken up again and will start to float around looking for more problems to find, but for the time being I feel content. Not because I can rest, but because I have more of a direction, focus and plan about what I can do.




pic attribution: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Bubbles_3D.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing a idea....Great post and informative
    ivf pregnancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that my talk has popped some bubbles of doubt, but sometimes in those bubbles you also get your next great idea. Keep a few floating about to test everything you see and hear, and let us know what you discover. Best wishes for 2012!

    ReplyDelete